It is the Week of the Young Child and we decided to mark it by highlighting key facts about child care and families in America:
- Of all children eligible for child care subsidies only one in seven actually receive aid.
- Overall, 45 percent of children under a year old are regularly in non-parental care.
- Nearly 60 percent (59 percent) of moms with babies work.
- In this country, more than 20 percent of two-year-old children have not had all their shots. (What?!)
– “Key Facts about Children and Families.” National Association for the Education of Young Children. (Check out all the facts here.)
Montessori Mafia Success: A new story suggests the Montessori approach to education may be one of the best ways to give your child a good start and maybe even a path to elite status.
Or, as author Peter Sims puts it:
Ironically, the Montessori educational approach might be the surest route to joining the creative elite, which are so overrepresented by the school’s alumni that one might suspect a Montessori Mafia: Google’s founders Larry Page and Sergei Brin, Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, videogame pioneer Will Wright, and Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, not to mention Julia Child and rapper Sean “P.Diddy” Combs.
The Montessori learning method, founded by Maria Montessori, emphasizes a collaborative environment without grades or tests, multi-aged classrooms, as well as self-directed learning and discovery for long blocks of time, primarily for young children ages 2 1/2 to 7. – “The Montessori Mafia” The Wall Street Journal. 4/5/11. (http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/04/05/the-montessori-mafia)
Check it out.