You can make a difference in advancing racial equity. The following is an offering that might help you put the work into practice.
- Be curious about your community and work to understand your role in it
- Slow down to create space for conversation
- Ask powerful questions that generate curiosity and invite creativity
- Think about who is not at the table and how to get them there … or how to be invited to their table
- Consider different partners for your work
- Reflect back what you’ve heard and communicate how you will respond
Here is a one-page summary of the Community of Practice that you can reference and share with others.
Tools and Resources
Articles and Publications
Talking About Race resource notebook (PDF)
This document from the Kirwan Institute at Ohio State University addresses many topics, including framing a discussion about race and how to engage in effectve interracial dialogue on race.
Race Matters (web)
This toolkit from the Annie E. Casey Foundation is designed for decision-makers, advocates and officials. It presents a specific point of view on addressing unequal opportunities.
National Voices Project (PDF)
This effort, which brings the perspectives of thousands of people to the national dialogue about opportunities and barriers for children, conducts major national surveys.
- Definition of Community (Word)
- Lens of Systemic Oppression (Word)
- Linked Fates and Targeted Universalism (PowerPoint)
- Asking Powerful Questions (PDF)
- A Path for Warriors, excerpted from So Far From Home by Margaret J. Wheatley (PDF)
- Community Agreements (Word)
- Tools for Productive Conversation (Word)
- Changing the Discourse: Creating Cultures for Action and Accountability (Word)
- The Art of Conversation (Word)
- Nondiscussables (Word)
- Reflecting on a Critical Incident (PDF)
- [SPANISH] Early Learning Action Alliance Racial Equity Question Tool (PDF)
in Early Learning
|Advancing Racial Equity in Early Learning Grants Committee
a Racial Equity
|Facilitation Resources and Tools from the National Equity Project
|Community of Practice convening August 2013|
|Community of Practice convening October 2013||Community of Practice convening December 2013|
Theory of Change Tools